Sunday, January 2, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner



During the remodel we never knew if we were going to get into the kitchen to cook at 5:00, 8:00 or even if we were going to be able to cook anything at all. As result we never had meals planned and usually a meal was whatever we could throw together quickly. Breakfast became a popular choice as frittatas, pancakes, etc were quick and easy. For Christmas Annette bought me a ton of cookbooks, one of which was the Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond. Ree dedicates a whole chapter to breakfast. When I saw the hash browns, I knew I had to have some. While I did not use her recipe, I was inspired by her photography. Fellow bloggers I recommend this book for the photography as much as the recipes. I wasn't going to publish this a just made hash browns and topped with a slice of ham and a fried egg and anybody can make that, but I liked my photograph of the results.

Hash Browns with Ham and a Fried Egg
2 baked potatoes, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch dice
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 red pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into a small dice
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil to medium in a heavy pan, cast iron is good if you have one. Add the onion and peppers and cook until translucent. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Let the potatoes sit until they start to brown and then flip them. Don't stir them a lot or they won't brown up and they will fall apart. When they are golden brown they are done.
While the potatoes are finishing warm up a few slices of ham and fry the eggs.

9 comments:

  1. Breakfast for dinner is ok in my book. Glad you posted the photo--it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really liked that photo and the only reason I published the recipe. Well that and the fact that with the kitchen remodel I haven't been able to cook much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy this looks delicious! I love the potatoes this way accept I use garlic...hope you enjoy your new kitchen!
    ★•.¸¸.•*¨*❤•.¸¸.•*¨*☆•.¸¸.•*¨*❤
    HAPPY NEW 2011 YEAR!!!
    ❤•.¸¸.•*¨*☆•.¸¸.•*¨*❤•.¸¸.•*¨*★

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice photo. Great contrast and exposure. And nice how the corner of the plate just grazes the upper edge of the frame... It's the little things that really make an image, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia, when I was planning my recipe garlic was on the list, but when I made it I some how managed to leave it off.
    Thanks, Frank!. I agree with you about the little things making a picture good. The odd thing is I never planned on blogging about this, I just threw everything on the plate and when I saw it I said I am going to photograph this and see how the light is in the kitchen since the remodel is done. Apparently the light is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your kitchen. I lvoe breakfast for dinner. I can see you cuting into that egg and it oozing out. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. have been eating breakfast as dinner this week myself, and no remodeling at my house... those potatoes look just perfect, I could not do this good of a job, I tend to stir them too much....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow pioneer woman's blog. She is so funny! :D I can't wait to get her book!
    Btw,your recipe looks so yummy and easy too!
    ________________
    www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete