Sunday, March 20, 2011
Amaretto Almond Pound Cake
My wife made a pound cake that was delicious, so she is going to write the post today. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Ha Ha! I am taking over Greg's blog. Not really, it's just that I'm the baker and he's the cook. And sometimes you just have to have cake. So I was reading through my Southern Living magazine and they did a section on "Perfect Pound Cakes". This one just sounded really good to me: Amaretto-Almond Pound Cake. And trust me, with a cup of tea (maybe with a little Amaretto in it) this cake is delicious. Greg even ate a small piece. I made a few small changes, taking the cake out of the pan before glazing it, and using a little bit of almond flavoring instead of all liqueur in the batter. I hope you enjoy it.
Amaretto-Almond Pound Cake
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp almond liqueur (I used 2 Tbsp Amaretto, 1 Tbsp almond flavoring)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325. Beat butter & cream cheese until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add almond & vanilla flavorings/liqueurs, beating until just blended. Gradually add flour, beating until just blended after each addition. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.
2. Sprinkle sliced almonds in the bottom of a greased/floured 12 cup Bundt pan; pour batter into pan.
3. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
4. During the last 10 minutes of baking, prepare Amaretto Glaze (see below). Remove cake from oven and flip onto wire rack.
5. Spoon hot glaze over cake. You can also poke a few extra holes in the cake to get the glaze to soak down in.
6. Cool cake completely.
Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 6 Tbsp butter 1/4 cup Amaretto & 2 Tbsp water to a boil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring often. When it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium/low and boil, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and use immediately.