Sunday, April 10, 2011

Salmon Pasta


When I was growing up, my mom made tuna noodle casserole when my dad wasn't around. It consisted of 1 can of tuna, 1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1 soup can of milk and egg noodles. The noodles were cooked and then everything else was mixed in with it and heated through. This is my version of Tuna Noodle Casserole. Only there is no tuna, noodles and its not a casserole.

Salmon Pasta
8 oz Salmon
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz Pasta, I used penne
1 cup peas
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
2 tbs Pine Nuts
Pesto to taste

Salmon
Preheat grill. Drizzle olive oil on the salmon and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness. I like to cook this until golden brown and cooked through for this dish. Set aside to cool. After it is cool flake it apart with a fork.

Pasta
Cook the pasta in salted water. Cook until done, I leave it a little bit on the firm side for this dish. Add the salmon, peas, tomatoes and pesto. I added about 2 tbs of pesto for this.

If you are not serving right away refrigerate the pasta and just before you serve it drizzle with a little olive oil, then toss the pasta.

You could add additional things to this pasta like capers, broccoli flowerettes or green onions.

6 comments:

  1. I have to say your mom's recipe sounded like a creamy delicious treat for me... on this diet I am on with no fat hardly at all everything pretty much tastes bland...except for soups. I am sure you can relate. My mom smothered hers in buttered breadcrumbs which right now I could eat just a bowl of! This salmon pesto sounds like the perfect blend of flavors for me, I posted one with peas too today, but with the addition of salmon it would have really been awesome, so guess what I am trying next time! Your recipe!!! Love the color, freshness and low fat here... its healthy and perfect just what I expected! (I still want to taste mom's version casserole.... hmm hmm good too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love it... no tuna and its not a casserole :D It looks great! I love the peas :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tuna and salmon. I grew up on the ocean so tuna on toast was my mom's specialty. Your recipe looks great! Did you sneak in pinenuts, too? Yum..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did add pine nuts. Forgot to put them in the original post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic. I make macaroni with almost everything although I have never tried this!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to make the same casserole and top it with crumbled potato chips. I'm afraid it wasn't my favorite meal. I much prefer your version!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete