Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mexican Salad



I love it when I get to go to the Farmers Market, it always inspires me to make something great for dinner.   There are several parts to this recipe but most are easy and can be made in a couple of minutes so don't panic. 
Mexican Salad
Chicken
1 batch of Mexican Chicken, this if from my other blog

Salad
1 tortilla, per person
1 cup lettuce, torn into bite size pieces per person
1 oz Queso Fresco per person

Heat a frying pan over high heat. After the pan gets hot throw the tortilla in it. When the starts to bubble and get some color on it flip it over and cook until other side starts to brown. Remove and do the same to the remaining tortillas.

Salsa
2 Tomatoes, chopped into small pieces (I used 1 heirloom and 1 yellow)
1/2 to 1 jalapeno, chopped into very small pieces
1 tbs red onion, chopped into small pieces
1 tbs cilantro, finely chopped

Mix all of the ingredients together and let it sit for a few minutes for flavors to mingle. You can use store bought or your own recipe if you want. I do recommend fresh when tomatoes and peppers are in season.

Guacamole
2 small avocados, peeled, sliced into pieces
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbs red onion, finely chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, cut in 1/2
1 tbs Cilantro, finely chopped

As soon as the avocados are cut and peeled squeeze the lime juice on them, to prevent them from oxidizing. Mash the avocados with a potato maser. Fold in the remaining ingredients. 

To assemble put tortilla on plate top with the lettuce. Then add the chicken top with guacamole and salsa. Sprinkle with the Queso Fresco.


6 comments:

  1. amazing you know mexican food is my second love, I just bought some low carb whole wheat tortilla, this is perfect for this salad.. love it so colorful and right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you had brought home great inspiration from that market.Beuatifull combination and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, so full of fresh colorful veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cant pass up a great Mexican salad! This sounds great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very colorful! Sounds like a great recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want this for dinner TONIGHT! :D Also, I 'tagged' you in my latest blog post!!!

    ReplyDelete