Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lobster Boil


Last week I posted a recipe for Father's Day, an alternative to my usual Father's Day meal. You may have thought that was weird posting a Father's Day recipe so early. Honestly my calendar at work says that Father's Day is Sunday June 10th and that is why I posted it so early. Here is my traditional Father's Day meal. You can add additional things like sausage, crabs, mussels, etc. if you like. I often substitute some of the water with a bottle or 3 of beer. Happy Father's Day to my fellow fathers. By the way Cook's Illustrated ran on on-line contest for best Clam bake and this recipe won it for me. Chris Kimble sent me an autographed copy of season 10 of their TV show. He signs his autographs with his name and then draws a bow tie under it.

Lobster Boil
4 lobster tails, I used 4 oz tails for this
24 shrimp
4 ears corn on the cob
4 potatoes or 8 small red ones
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning

Fill a large stock pot with water, turned to high so water will boil. Add the red potatoes or if using larger potatoes cut them into smaller pieces and add them. Let them boil 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes start to get soft. Add the Old Bay and the lobsters. After 5 minutes add corn and shrimp and let boil 3 or 4 minutes longer until shrimp are cooked. Drain off water and put the food in a big bowl. Enjoy and put out lots of napkins. You may want to put out butter, salt, pepper for corn and potatoes, cocktail sauce for shrimp and melted butter for lobster. Oh yea, don't forget an ice cold beer.

7 comments:

  1. What? You know that lobster is my favorite food in this whole word never would say no ever!! You just ruined my whole day being here stuck with a healthy salad looking at this!
    :( just joking but it just made me not want to eat what is in front of me since this is AWESOME!~ Happy ALmost Fathers Day have a grea week ahead thanks for making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be great for a party. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I'm a newbie at cooking seafood...if I were to add sausage, mussels, clams, and crab...what order would you put it in the pot? Would you ever steam this rather than put it directly into the water? This and some yummy crusty bread seems like the perfect meal! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loan you could steam this but I never have. All of the ingredients cook well with steam with the possible exception of the sausage. As for adding the ingredients I would add the sausage at the begining. Add the crab when you would add the lobster. Clams and mussels should be added a couple of minutes before the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Virginia we call this a Low Country Boil. Call it what ever you want,it is delicious! Congrats on the top 9

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Greg, Congrats!! on winning the contest! I love Cook's magazine. It is one of the best.
    This looks like a great Father's Day meal. Happy Father's Day to you. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally envious, that looks so good.

    ReplyDelete