Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ribs and Grits


My wife decided that she wanted crock pot ribs for dinner. Typically we would have baked potato wedges with ribs, but I was in the mood for something different. Actually, I am almost always in the mood for something different or this blog would have stopped after seven recipes. I read recently that the average American household rotates between 10 different recipes, I am glad I am not average I would think that would get a little tiresome. Back to my story, as I was making the ribs I realized I only had Honey Chipotle barbecue sauce. If I wasn't going to make them in the crock pot I would have made my own sauce. So I am thinking the barbecue sauce is southwestern what would go with that, corn. How do I make corn a hearty side dish? Well you make it into polenta. Now polenta is very southwestern sounding, so I better go with the grits/cornmeal name instead. My wife was originally put off by the idea but loved it after she tried it. Next time I might add corn or jalapenos to the grits to give them an extra kick.

Ribs and Grits

Ribs
2 to 3 pounds ribs, trim off any large pieces of fat, I used pork ribs
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices and broke apart to make rings
1 bottle of barbecue sauce, I hold back 1/2 cup to cover ribs at the end
water enough to mostly cover the ribs (they don't need to be submerged just mostly covered)

Over medium high heat olive oil. When the oil is shimmering add the ribs and brown them on all sides. While the ribs are browning slice onions and place them in the crock pot. When ribs are browned place them on onions in the crock pot. Add the barbecue sauce and then enough water to mostly cover the ribs. Put the lid on turn crock pot on high for 5 to 6 hours. On low this takes about 8 to 10 hours. The ribs will be falling off the bones when they are done. You can remove them and put some extra sauce on them or you can serve the extra sauce as a dipping sauce. I plate the ribs on the polenta on a large platter.

Grits
Follow the directions on the package or make your favorite recipe. remember the only difference between cornmeal, polenta and grits is how fine they re ground. If you have one on hand you don't have to run out and buy grits just for this. When the grits are done stir in about 3/4 cup of cheese, I had cheddar and Jarlesburg on hand so that is what I used, just about any cheese or combination will work as long as they melt. You could add 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of corn and or some jalapeno slices to taste. After cheese is melted spread out the grits on a platter and place the ribs on top of the grits.

5 comments:

  1. This is my kinda meal! Stocks to the bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REally is that true about the ground cornmeal differences? I have to tell you I love polenta and hate grits with a passion...have tried them every which way. I absolutely love polenta, lumpy, fried baked but always with sauce on it... These ribs are amazingly tender looking...so ribs it is with polenta now I am racing to think when I will have time this week, nice combo love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia, I was slightly off. Cornmeal and Polenta are the same but polenta is just a finer grind. Grits are from hominy, the corn with hull and germ removed by soaking in a lye solution. So grits are more processed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's real comfort food for me! Amazing statistic about the ten dishes... sort of sad, actually. Like you, I crave variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats ok Greg.... I had no clue of the difference just like that thick grainy yellow cornmeal with lots of sauce.. I just learned that gravy(referred to Italian sauce is with meat) sauce is without meat like marinara, I use to take offense on anyone calling sauce gravy till they set me straight lol!! I love both! I still do not prefer grits though ....

    ReplyDelete