Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blueberry Balsamic Salmon


Over the Fourth of July I told my wife I was going to cook a different region of the country everyday. We did southwestern, New England (you saw the lobster boil), New Orleans and what my wife called northern woods. I look at the northern woods as more of a childhood memories meal. The main entree for the meal was salmon with a blueberry balsamic sauce. Growing up just about every weekend we went fishing, whether it was pan fish or larger fish like salmon. I had an uncle who was a fishing guide so every year we made 2 or 3 trips to fish for salmon. My wife lived at the top of a hill, at the bottom of the hill was a blueberry farm. It was only natural that I eventually tied the 2 things together. Sorry about the pictures for this recipe, I am not sure what happened but I didn't get 1 good shot out of the bunch. Most of them looked like the camera wasn't focusing.

Salmon with Blueberry Balsamic Sauce
1 salmon fillet
1 pt blueberries, reserve a few for garnish
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

For the sauce combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook until the sauce starts thickening, the blueberries will begin to explode. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. With a stick blender
(or pour it in a blender) blend until smooth.
Grill the salmon as you normally would. The last 3 or 4 of minutes on the grill spread the blueberry balsamic sauce on the salmon. Garnish with the reserved blueberries.


8 comments:

  1. You must have absolutely were brillant as a child, to think of a wonderful topping like this! I can remember picking blueberries as a kid, never thinking to ever put them on fish, so now your idea is amazing. Fresh, sweet goes perfect with salmon and then healthy? Wow someone taught you well and you have some good senses! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca.
    Claudia I am glad someone besides me finally realizes that I am a genius. :-) My dad was a good cook he definitely wasn't a healthy cook that was something I figured out when I lost all that weight 5 years ago. I am one of those people who when I decide to do something I commit 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One great creative combination. Love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I usually do a blueberry balsamic reduction for pork chops, but I can't wait to try it on salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I admit.Although Pacific is under my window and I am catching my own fish..never tried topping like this.And it looks hmmm interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg, this pairing sounds DELECTABLE! It reminds me of a dish I had many moons ago in Brazil!

    ReplyDelete