Sunday, July 24, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

 

As you know I am not a baker! I don't like all of the rules and equations that you have to follow. I am a color outside the lines kind of guy. Luckily my wife is a nurse and is used to measuring things precisely, so she is good at baking. They are the best muffins I have ever had. This recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated The Best Light Recipe cookbook.

These are the best blueberry muffins ever. They are light and moist. The lemon juice and zest add just a hint of flavor surprise that brings out the sweetness of the blueberries. They freeze well and can be thawed one or two at a time in the microwave for a little treat anytime. But the best secret about these muffins: they are much lower in fat than other muffins because of the yogurt. They are only 250 cal each, according to the recipe--but they used low-fat yogurt. I use non-fat yogurt, so I guess that makes them even better!

2 Cups (10 oz) plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Cup (4 oz) cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup (7 oz) sugar
1 tablespoon raw (Turbinado) sugar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons juice from a lemon
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 Cups non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
2 Cups fresh blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with papers or vegetable spray.
2. Whisk 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/4 Cup of sugar together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat an additional 3/4 Cup sugar and the butter together with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light & fluffy (3-5 minutes.)
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
5. Beat in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla.
6. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just incorporated, followed by 1/3 of the yogurt. Repeat this twice more until all the flour and yogurt is added. Do not over mix.
7. In a separate bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, then fold them into the batter.
8. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with remaining tablespoon of raw sugar.
9. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
10. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes then flip them out onto a wire rack and cool 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 15-18 muffins

9 comments:

  1. This is SOME endorsement! These are definitely on my "to try" list!!! I've been looking for dishes that freeze well in prep for my new job (and a super hectic schedule in the beginning). And love that they have yogurt to lighten them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberry muffins are a staple in our home all summer long, I just love the warm delicate muffins for breakfast, your photo captures that warmth of good home cookin, makes me miss when the kids were home as they always asked for these first over anything else! 250 calories you say? Ha! no way once I put a pound of whipped creamy butter all over it! Ok now you have me wishing for them going to have to give this one a try ... I like the addition of the lemon! nice job to your wife oh and you did great taking the pictures hee hee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I can vouch that these freeze well. When we make them I eat one, my wife eats 5 or 6 and we freeze the rest. :-)
    Claudia, you won't need butter on these they are way to good without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy nothing is better than blueberry muffins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing. Actually going to bookmark this one for a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite muffins
    Looks godo heh:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand being put off by the rules of baking! These muffins sound oh so very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blueberry muffins! I actually posted my recipe today! Yours looks wonderful though, I am going to have to try it next time I make them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THose blueberries in those muffin look like they are bursting with juiciness. YUM!

    ReplyDelete