Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spicy Chickpeas with Poached Egg

 The day after my daughters and I ran the 10K in April we went out for brunch. I ordered spicy chickpeas with an egg on top. The dish consisted of chickpeas, spinach and mushrooms in a spicy tomato sauce. It was topped with an egg. I am not sure what kind of an egg it was supposed to be. It consisted of mainly a yoke. My guess is it was fried egg where the white part got overcooked so they cut it off. Here is my version, I poached the egg but it over cooked while I was photographing it, so thats why the yolk is chunky in the picture above.

This is another recipe where you can use the leftover vegetables in your refrigerator. If you don't have one of the vegetables I mention substitute another or add more of another one.

2 eggs
1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 yellow squash or zucchini
4 mushrooms, sliced
small handful of spinach, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Add the olive oil to a pan on medium heat. When it shimmers add the squash, mushrooms. Cook until the squash starts to softens. Add the chickpeas and cook for a minute. Then add the tomatoes, red pepper and spinach. 
For the poached egg put 1 cup of water in a 2 cup microwavable measuring cup. Crack 1 egg into the water.  The egg should sink, but not settle to the bottom. Microwave for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. The egg should take on a white color all over. Take egg out with slotted spoon and drain. Place egg on top of plated chickpeas. If the eggs are going to sit for a few minutes you may want to dip them in cold water to stop the cooking.  Repeat with other egg.

11 comments:

  1. This looks delicious.Yummy runny egg on tasty chickpeas;))
    If you haven't yet please visit my blog and take
    part in my giveaway.I am celebrating 100 followers and giving to 2 lucky ones great cookbooks.Taking part is easy and you never know;)
    here: http://dzolistic.blogspot.com/2011/07/hip-hip-hooray-i-have-passed-hundred.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I even finished reading the description, I was buzzing this lol. It sounds fantastic. I love the combo of eggs and legumes/beans. Always a favorite. Add in the word spicy and I'm all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A much healthier version than fried egg... I love chick peas and I love poached eggs ..so this is one I would love for sure.. very delicious sounding... guess it woud be a diffinitely worth a try for me~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the QUEEN of breakfast for dinner! LOVE eggs and veggies... and the chickpeas give even more protein! YUM! (p.s... love that you made this spicy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love hummus and anything with chickpeas. I can't wait to try this. What a great brunch item or light evening supper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely, spicy, healthy dish. I love the mix of veg and chick peas plus the poached egg of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, and with that runny poached egg, oh yeah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. most recipes I do use up leftover veggies in my fridge... that is where the best inspiration comes don't you think...
    so how ya'll are, hope the summer is playing sweet on you and all is well....

    ReplyDelete